DIY Virus Removal
***DISCLAIMER: PLEASE USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK. We are not responsible for any problems that may occur from using the information and tools on this page. Essentially please be VERY careful, backup your data beforehand and be prepared to call a professional if something goes wrong.***
I’d like to provide a series of guides on how to repair your own computer. Getting a computer service technician to repair your computer is usually expensive and we’d like to save you a few bucks if possible. In today’s article I’ll be covering virus and malware removal. If your computer is getting lots of pop ups, returning search results from a search engine you don’t recognize or popping up antivirus threats like the one pictures you’re probably infected.
If your computer is infected with a virus there are some basic steps you can take to remove the virus yourself. If you’re locked out of your computer , such as with the MoneyPak (Department of Justice) virus, then its best to call a technician to remove it. If you’re in Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, Naples, Bonita Springs, Estero, Lee County or Collier County please call us at (239) 303-4343.
There are some excellent tools out there that will remove a virus infection for you. We’re going to discuss some of the best in the below steps. Its important to follow these steps in order and be very careful not to run more then ONE tool at a time. As a disclaimer, some of these tools, Combofix particularly can destroy your computer if used improperly. Make sure you read about each of these programs and follow their instructions over mine. Lambros Computer Solutions, LLC and myself do not accept ANY responsibility for the content of this article. By continuing you accept full responsibility.
- Numero Uno – Backup your stuff!!! First and foremost backup your stuff. This can be easily accomplished by copy and pasting to an external hard drive or USB thumb drive. If you don’t know what I’m talking about then you should skip this guide and call a technician – its all downhill from here! 😉
- Run RKill.com – is a program that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections.
- Run TDSSKiller – TDSSKiller is program from Kaspersky that removes Rootkit Viruses. Besides having a cool name, a Rootkit’s goal is to remain invisible on the computer so the computer can remain infected indefinitely and install new infections. Read more on Wikipedia…
- Run AdwCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer.
- Malwarebytes AntiMalware – Probably the 2nd best tool for removing infections. Make sure you use the free version, run a FULL scan, and remove anything it finds. This will fix 90% of infections.
WE STONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DON’T USE THIS TOOL UNLESS YOU ARE A SEASONED TECHNICIAN. IT CAN RESULT IN NEEDING TO RE-INSTALL YOUR WHOLE COMPUTER FROM SCRATCH.
Probably the best and fastest tool to remove infections is ComboFix (developed by BleepingComputer.com). ComboFix is POWERFUL and can easily mess up your computer if used improperly. The most important thing I can tell you when using ComboFix is to LET IT RUN and DON’T DO ANYTHING WHILE ITS RUNNING unless ComboFix asks you to do something. ComboFix requires the following:
- Internet Access
- DISABLING your current antivirus
- Close any open programs you have running
Here is a link to the BleepingComputer Guide to using ComboFix. READ THE GUIDE.
I hope this guide proves helpful. Allot plenty of time for cleaning up a virus. Each scan can take a couple hours. If you would like assistance cleaning up a virus we offer a flat cost service for cleanup. Please contact us by calling (239) 303-4343 or dropping us a message.